• A Visual History of the
    Medical Campus
    University of Manitoba
  • A Visual History of the
    Medical Campus
    University of Manitoba
  • A Visual History of the
    Medical Campus
    University of Manitoba
UM.MPC.4.1.014.001
Manitoba Medical College, Anatomy Laboratory, 1883
A photograph of the first anatomy laboratory of the Manitoba Medical College. This small cottage on Isabel St., near Notre Dame, was used as a dissecting room before the school at Kate St.and McDermot Ave. was built.


UM.MPC.4.1.002E.001
Manitoba Medical College, 1884
A print of a drawing of the Manitoba Medical College building. This drawing was taken from the cover of the Manitoba Medical College Annual Announcement for the 1891-1892 school year. The words "Manitoba Medical College, Winnipeg.", "Incorporated by Act of Parliament 1884.", "Established 1883.", and "In affiliation with the University of Manitoba." are printed around the drawing of the building and some of its grounds.


UM.MPC.4.1.002A.001
Expanded Manitoba Medical College, late 1890s
A photograph of the Medical College building at Kate Street and McDermot Avenue. This photograph, taken circa 1896, depicts the original Medical College building expanded to include a second storey. A new, separate building in which Gordon Bell taught histology is also pictured.


UM.MPC.4.1.006C.001
Manitoba Medical College, ca. 1910
A photograph of the new Manitoba Medical College building at the corner of Bannatyne Ave. and Emily St. This black-and-white photograph, taken circa 1911, depicts the building after a second section was added to the rear of the building. The addition provided a library and an expanded area for anatomy teaching. Gordon Bell's laboratory was situated in the old part of the building. The dissecting room was converted to offices and the anatomy amphitheatre disappeared.


UM.MPC.4.1.007B.001
Manitoba Medical College, Pathology Wing, ca. 1920
A photograph of the pathology wing of the Manitoba Medical College buildings on Bannatyne Ave. The wing was built with the aid of a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation.


UM.MPC.4.1.004.001
Manitoba Medical College, Coach House, ca. 1920
A photograph of the Coach House at the Manitoba Medical College. This black-and-white photograph was taken circa 1924. The Coach House was originally meant as storage for the Dean's sleighs, but it quickly became the "animal house", used by Gordon Bell for his experimental animals. It was demolished to make way for the Chown Building at 753 McDermot Ave.


UM.MPC.4.1.033A.001
Manitoba Medical College, Biochemistry Wing and Coach House, 1929
A photograph of the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine biochemistry wing and Coach House. This picture shows a grassy area fronting on McDermot Ave,, as well as the biochemistry wing and Coach House. This area was used well into the 1950s.


UM.MPC.4.1.007C.001
Manitoba Medical College, Pathology Wing, ca. 1930
A photograph of the pathology wing of the Manitoba Medical College buildings on Bannatyne Ave. This black-and-white photograph, taken circa 1930, was from the Ross Mitchell photograph album created for the 1930 British Medical Association annual meeting in Winnipeg.
UM.MPC.4.1.013E.001
Doorway of Manitoba Medical College, date unknown
A photograph of the front entrance to the pathology wing of the Manitoba Medical College building at 770 Bannatyne Ave. This black-and-white photograph was donated by Dr. Colin C. Ferguson.


UM.MPC.4.1.016C.001
Library, Microbiology, and Cafeteria Wing, 1956
A photograph of the library, microbiology, and cafeteria wing of the Manitoba Medical College/University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine, located on McDermot Ave. The building, completed in 1955 and opened in 1956, now houses the College of Rehabilitation Sciences.


UM.MPC.4.1.011D.001
Anatomy and Pathology Buildings, ca. 1957
A photograph of the anatomy and pathology buildings at the University of Manitoba medical school. This black-and-white photograph, taken circa 1957, depicts the anatomy building on the left and the pathology building, with a new third storey, on the right.


MPC.4.1.47C
Ariel view of Medical Campus, 1950s
An ariel view of the University of Manitoba medical campus from the 1950s.


UM.MPC.4.1.015A.001
Manitoba Medical College, Biochemistry Wing, ca. 1960
A photograph of the biochemistry wing of the Manitoba Medical College/University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine. This photograph, taken circa 1960, looks northeast from McDermot Ave.
UM.MPC.4.1.019D.001
Construction of Chown Building, 1965
A photograph of the construction of the Chown Building at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine.


Chown Building, 1960s
A photograph of the Chown Building on the University of Manitoba Bannatyne Campus at 753 McDermot Ave., Winnipeg. This building was named in honour of Dr. Henry Havelock Chown, the third Dean of Medicine at the University of Manitoba.


UM.MPC.4.1.002D.001
Manitoba Medical College, 1967
A photograph of the Medical College building at the corner of Kate St. and McDermot Ave. This photograph, taken in 1967, depicts the building after it had been sold and turned into the St. Regis apartment block.


Anatomy and Pathology Buildings, ca. 1970
A photograph of the anatomy and pathology buildings at the University of Manitoba medical school. This black-and-white photograph, taken circa 1970, depicts two of the nine stone plaques above the second-storey windows. These plaques commemorate famous names in medicine; Hunter and Jenner can be seen.


UM.MPC.4.1.020B.001
Basic Medical Sciences Building, 1973
A photograph of the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine Basic Medical Sciences building, on William Ave. near the corner of Bannatyne Ave. and Emily St. This photograph looks toward the southeast; part of the Health Sciences Centre can be seen on the left.


Basic Medical Sciences Building, 1974
A photograph of the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine Basic Medical Sciences building, on William Ave. near the corner of Bannatyne Ave. and Emily St. This photograph looks toward the southwest. The Basic Medical Sciences building provided accomodation for the anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, medical microbiology, and immunology departments.


UM.MPC.4.1.021D.001
Cadham Provincial Laboratory, 1980
A photograph of the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine Cadham Provincial Laboratory. This building is on William Ave., across the street from the Basic Medical Sciences building.


UM.MPC.4.1.070A4.001
Construction of Brodie Centre, 1990s
A photograph of the construction of the Brodie Centre at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine. This photograph looks south on Emily St. and depicts the laying of the foundations. The lighter brick buildings on the right are the two parts of the anatomy building towards the front of the photograph and the redder-looking Chown building next to it. Part of the anatomy building was enclosed by the atrium.


UM.MPC.4.1.070D.001
Brodie Centre, 1996
A photograph of the Brodie Centre at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine, located on McDermot Ave. The Chown Building is to the left and the Health Sciences Centre to the right. The building looks south down Emily St.


UM.MPC.4.1.070E.001
Brodie Centre Atrium, 1996
A photograph of the Brodie Centre at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine, located on McDermot Avenue. This photograph depicts the atrium of the building, looking south to Notre Dame Avenue. Part of the anatomy building is shown inside the atrium on the right side. Outside, the edge of the Chown Building can be seen on the right.


PageLines